Re: definition of derivation?

Hi all,

I broadly agree with Luc and Simon's definition, except I would replace *
affected* with *created from*, since a thing X may be affected by thing Y,
but X may not be derived from Y. For example, cold temperature affects plant
X, but plant X is not derived from cold temperature.

Modified definition: "Derivation represents how stuff is transformed from or
created from other stuff."

Also, would like to point to the both the "derived from" and "transformation
of" properties defined by the OBO Foundry Relation ontology [1], which is
widely used in biomedical ontologies.
Thanks.

Best,
Satya