PROV-ISSUE-4: Coming to consensus on agent

From: Paul Groth <pgroth@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:01:41 +0200
To: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi All,

I believe that we were closer to reaching some consensus on agents. It
would be good if we could get there by this weeks telecon as this would
help in the process of consolidating concepts for the F2F meeting.

So far I believe the following are attributes that are agreed upon:

- An agent is active.

- Examples of agent are: people, organizations or computer agents (i.e.
operating systems)

- There can be a relationship between agents and process executions

Discussion points:

- There was a debate around whether to make a human agent / computer
agent distinction. Do we need to make this distinction?

- There was a debate about whether an agent should just be a status of a
thing.

I think these should be able to be resolved quickly. I encourage people
to look at the discussion on http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ConceptAgent

I have added the following attempt at a summary definition.

PROPOSED: An agent is an active thing. It may be linked to a process
execution, for example, by controlling it. Examples of agent include
person, organization, and software agent.

Can you express your support for this definition or come up with an
alternative by Thursday's telecon.

Thanks,
Paul