Re: Definitions and provenance and invariance

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 19:31, Paolo Missier <Paolo.Missier@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have added some comments to the "smaller example" page:
> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/FileExample#Comments_.28Paolo.29
> in an attempt to understand the definitions. There is also a pretty picture
> that tries to capture the gist of the example. See if you like it

I do like it. I like how as you dig 'deeper' then more properties are
'locked' - that makes perfectly sense.

You could look at the journalist example, but I think it could get
complex as you have to dig into what are the properties of the
graph/table/rdf, etc. (Say "number of unemployed per region" in graph,
but by postcode in rdf)

Alternatively you can extend the FileExample to include a
whiteboard-written list of cities, and a print-out, clearly those
contents are different from bytes in a file - but can be considered
invariant and 'corresponding' to the file bytes. The file is edited to
include the transform of an invariant view over the whiteboard (say a
picture or simply looking at it while nobody is writing). The
whiteboard then changes - but this does not affect i2. It affects i0 -
but not until David does the editing and forms i3 (by executing a new
EditingProcess).

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science