Re: Access and query TF - actions for WG

Luc Moreau wrote:
> Hi Graham,
> But if you want to ask a third party (assuming you have found it by (a)
> or (c)), how will you do it?
> Do you need a separate protocol?
> Regards,
> Luc

You don't need a separate protocol just because they're provided by a third
party.  Once you have a URI for a provenance resource, web retrieval can be
applied.  (In case it's not clear, in the model I envisage, multiple provenance
resources can be associated with a target, each with different URIs.)

But please be clear that I'm not saying additional protocols will not be needed
(*).  I'm not claiming the web retrieval mechanisms are the end of the story,
just the start.  What I'm arguing for is to start on the simple cases first, and
see how they pan out.

(*)

For example, I'm very aware that the charter envisages a query service.  Such a
query service might provide both discovery (per my previous case (a)) *and*
retrieval (**).  But I think it will be easier to see what is needed when we've
a clearer consensus view of how much is covered by the simple web-retrieval
approach, and where the gaps are.  I also expect that when we consider a query
service, we may need to be less agnostic about the actual provenance model and
format, so it would may be better to consider that when we can see the provnance
model taking shape.

BTW, I think the model is the area where this group's expertise most eeds to be
directed.

(**)

I could probably sit down and write a spec for such a service now.  But to do
so, I would need to make certain assumptions about other parts of the provenance
standards family and the requirements on such a service.  But this is a
consensus process, and any such assumptions would likely be invalidated as the
standards are developed.  Hence the small steps.