RE: Personal observations of working group style and process

From: Deus, Helena <helena.deus@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:14:29 +0100
To: "Graham Klyne" <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk>, "W3C provenance WG" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
>>  On reflection, and considering my past experience in standards work, I find my
personal view is that an agile mindset is actually more relevant to standards
creation than it is to software development.

I've had the same experience!

>>If we can quickly pull together the simplest possible set of specification
drafts that we can possibly imagine as addressing at least some of our goals, we
can publish them and solicit feedback.  That way, we stand a chance of learning
what we're missing that other people really want.  By keeping the drafts really
simple, we minimize the risk of describing something that no user really wants
(and in the same stroke, we maximize the chance of their being read and actually
getting feedback).  Then iterate.

I agree this is the most productive way of achieving meaningful results; thank you for articulating this so clearly, Graham :-)

Best,
Lena