Re: Definitions and provenance and invariance

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 15:48, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can you show in this encoding how the editing process by David extends the
> previous version of the file with two more lines?

I put it on http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/FileExample#Example_encoding

Note that I only used a minimal subset of the concept to show dynamic vs view.

By doing this I realised that the Dynamic Resource is not really doing
much except being a common target for multiple :viewOf - it seems to
me that there is easily a graph of invariant views where a resource is
dynamic in one context and a view in another - and where you might not
know a 'parent view'.

I also removed the duplicated properties from the platonic "real
world" dynamic i0 resource as I'm not sure they could be captured,
imagine we're talking about the height and weight of a person - those
properties exists - but you can only do
measurements/calculations/averages/guesses of them at certain times
using certain processes/instruments - which sounds like invariant
views.

>From this I'm not sure if "dynamic resource" is useful as a
classification, I would go for Luc's view (and our accepted
definition) that invariance is just a relation - and in that case
'dynamic' is just the inverse of that relation.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science