Re: PROV-ISSUE-4 (define-agent): Definition for Concept 'Agent' [Provenance Terminology]

From: Paul Groth <pgroth@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:10:09 +0200
To: Olaf Hartig <hartig@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
CC: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi All:

I would note that, we should look to what other existing approaches have
done.

Dublin Core defines Agent as:
A resource that acts or has the power to act.
Comment:    Examples of Agent include person, organization, and software
agent.

FOAF defines it as:
The|Agent <http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_Agent>|class is the class of
agents; things that do stuff
eg. person, group, software or physical artifact

PREMIS:
Agents are entities that have actied upon objects
e.g. people, organizations

I think it seems there is quite some agreement about what an agent means
in the broader community.

Paul