PROV-ISSUE-64 (definition-use): definition of use [Conceptual Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:13:52 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-64 (definition-use): definition of use [Conceptual Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/64

Raised by: Graham Klyne
On product: Conceptual Model

5.4 Use

Same problem with 'role' as above.

[[
A reference to a given BOB may appear in multiple use assertions that refer to a given process execution, but each of those use assertions must have a distinct role.
]]
In light of the above, this seems nonsensical to me.

[[
Given an assertion uses(pe,x,r) or uses(pe,x,r,t), at least one value of x's attributes is a pre-condition for the activity denoted by pe to terminate.
]]
As written this doesn't make sense - a value of an attribute being a precondition seems like a type error to me.  I think you mean something like availability of an attribute value.  But even that is hard to follow.  Suggest simplifying this to just:
[[
Given an assertion uses(pe,x,r) or uses(pe,x,r,t), existence of x is a pre-condition for the activity denoted by pe to terminate.
]]