RE: PROV-ISSUE-47 (third-party-provenance): How to obtain provenance from a third party known by the user [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Yogesh Simmhan <simmhan@usc.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:32:26 -0700
To: 'Provenance Working Group WG' <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
The Link header allows the specification of an anchor that provides the context for the relationship [1]. This is used state what the relationship is associated with. So may be possible to specify the BOB-identifier as part of that. By default, when the anchor is omitted, the link refers to the current document.
e.g.
Link: provenance-URI; rel="provenance"; anchor="bob-uri"

This has the added advantage of returning the provenance URIs for multiple documents in the same HTTP response.

While HTML4's link tag [2] is semantically equivalent to the HTTP Link header [3], it is not clear what the corresponding attribute for 'anchor' is in HTML.

--Yogesh

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-5.2
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.3
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#appendix-A