Re: PROV-ISSUE-43 (derivation-time): Deriviation should have associated time [Conceptual Model]

Hi Satya,

On 26/07/2011 02:33, Satya Sahoo wrote:
> Hi Luc,
> > I think there is a missing "inference" in the specification.
> >If there isDerivedFrom(e1,e0) holds, then there exists a process
> execution pe, and roles r0,r1, such that:
> >isGeneratedBy(e1,pe,r1) and use(pe,e0,r0)
>
> I am not sure how can we infer additional information (pe, r0, r1)
> from limited information (e1, e0)? Did you mean, we have the
> information about pe, r0, r1, and the link between them and (e1, e0)
> already stored somewhere?

No information about the process pe is inferred. The above merely
specifies that there exists a process execution, (which we don't know),
such that isGeneratedBy(e1,pe,r1) and use(pe,e0,r0)

> As an alternate, I think we can define the inference rule in the
> opposite direction:
> if there exists: isGeneratedBy(e1,pe,r1) and use(pe,e0,r0)
> then: isDerivedFrom(e1,e0) holds true?

IMO, we cannot make this inference. The process execution pe may well
generate e1 without using e0, even if e0 is an input of that process
execution.

Thanks, khalid