Re: PROV-ISSUE-34: Section 4: definition of "Agent"

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:36:14 +0200
To: "khalidb@cs.man.ac.uk" <khalidb@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi Khalid,

I think the definition of agents as a BOB is fine. The definition
doesn't prevent you from having things that change about an agent
outside the things that you defined as fixed.

So for alice:

If the attributes that characterized Alice, were her first name, last
name, and facebook url then changing her profession wouldn't matter.

If the core attributes change about how we identify alice I think it's
fair enough to require that those changes be reflected in provenance.

It's almost as if you were changing who you believed was controlling the
process and indeed if a core attribute of the person changes this is
important information to know.

Does that make sense?

Paul