Re: Proposed changes to Process Execution and related concepts

Folks -

To add to Ryan's comments, I had put in a comment previously regarding using
stronger types for agents.  From a practical implementation perspective, a
subset of which Ryan mentions to be "audit" trail, etc., please note the following -

 1. The distinction between the direct intervention of a human being effecting
    the state of a data versus an indirect intervention is absolutely crucial.
    Without this, establishing "trust" (I mean this from a formal perspective -
    something like PACE[1])
 2. I personally would lean towards one of the following options -
      * Strong Typing of the Agent to multiple types and specifying exactly what
        we mean by the types.  For example, /Human Agent, System Agent/, etc.
        I've mentioned this in a previous thread.  Within all practical usages
        of provenance that at least I'm concerned with, there are completely
        different treatments of a "snapshot" (or whatever you want to call it)
        of the state of an entity (which would be considered something that is
        included in provenance) based on whether or not there is direct human
        intervention (or alternatively, far more specification and strong
        typing) of the changes.  "Agent" is way to generic to be useful practically.
      * Reducing the use-cases of Agent to just User-Agent which is the approach
        that is used in some of the other W3C standards and is weaved into the
        fabric of www as we know today.  This would reduce the scope of what an
        "Agent" is.  We may possibly be able to leverage work of UAProf[2] and
        even if not, we can learn from UAProf and CC/PP as examples.
 3. The key of both (1) and (2) above is that we in order to have a practical
    implementation, it is highly desirable to have some very exact meaning for
    what "Agent" is, what it does, what the boundary conditions are, etc.  I
    also highly encourage that we do NOT include concepts that start going into
    RBAC and other security related standards such as Role.  IMO, we need to
    reuse concepts from these standards.

I'm relatively new to the group, but have spent a lot of time reading the
archives.  From an implementation perspective, I caution that if things are too
generic and there is not enough specification (typing) and exactness in order to
accommodate a larger tent, there may be long term implementation hurdles that
are presented in terms of practical implementation.  In terms of a specific
example, I think "Agent" above is one.  It's far too generically defined at this
point, IMO.

Please see references below.

[1] - PACE - http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.58.8965,
http://www.mendeley.com/research/architectural-support-trust-models-decentralized-applications/