Re: PROV-ISSUE-187: Section 5.2.2 (PROV-DM as on Nov 28) [prov-dm]

Hi Luc,
Apologies for my delayed reply to your earlier mail. I have responded to
your comments in ISSUE 101.

One response is interleaved:

To address this specific example, I am not sure what you are trying to
> express, since the attribute status
> is application specific. But for example, you could write
>
> activity(a1, [status="composing text", status="uploading attachment",
> status="sending", status="sent"])
>
> meaning that the activity a1 had a status with one of the possible values
> "composing ...", "uploading", ..." sent".
>

> Ok, so the values of an attribute can be assigned from a list of possible
values? Then the current requirement that attribute values have to hold "...
 for its whole duration..." is not a requirement.

> The duration is given by the interval between start and event.
>
> To some extent, an entity interval or an activity interval are opaque, we
> just know that some attributes
> hold for the duration.
>
> If you want to describe that something changes in an activity. Say it was
> on hostA, and then on hostB,
> then, you need to express this as two separate activities.

I believe this is an application-dependent requirement whether an activity
running on hostA is different or same when it is running on hostB. For
example, a Tomcat daemon running on port8080 or port80 will be considered
the same activity by a user browsing an online book store.

> Likewise, if you want to say running, paused, running,
> you also have to have separate activities.

In case of an OS, the thread will have the same process id across its
different states.

> What definition would you like to see for type? Intentionally, it's open
> ended, so that we don't constraint
> application to using specific typing approaches.
> Further information is also available in the type attribute in
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/**raw-file/default/model/**
> ProvenanceModel.html#record-**attribute<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#record-attribute>

I raised the issue since it matches the rdf:type attribute already defined
and well known in the Web community it will be a source of confusion
prov:type vs. rdf:type. The example given in Section 5.5.1 does not clarify
how to interpret it. If we want it to be open-ended, then do we need to
make it a reserved DM attribute?

Thanks.

Best,
Satya