Re: PROV-ISSUE-185: Section 3 (PROV-DM as on Nov 28) [prov-dm]

Hi Satya,

On 12/07/2011 01:46 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> PROV-ISSUE-185: Section 3 (PROV-DM as on Nov 28) [prov-dm]

> Raised by: Satya Sahoo
> On product: prov-dm
>
> Hi,
> The following are my comments about Section 3 of the PROV-DM as on Nov 28:
>
> 1. Why should actedOnBehalfOf be included and not actedOnItsOwn? Also, actedUnderDirectionOf, actedUnderSupervisionOf etc.? Its an application-specific property that should not be included in PROV-DM core or PROV-O.
>
> 2. Why only chains of responsibility - what about chains of authorization, supervision etc.? Again these seem to be domain-specific issues that are out of place in DM.

I think that's exactly what is intended.  The example in
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#record-responsibility
shows examples of delegation and contractual relation.

The precise nature  of the relation actedOnBehalfOf is indeed
domain-specific and is captured by a prov:type.

To clarify the document, we could add a paragraph in section 5 (and
possibly in section 3) to make this explicit.

How does it sound?

Cheers,
Luc