Re: PROV-ISSUE-142 (Tlebo): Can roles only be Literals? [Data Model]

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 13:06, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> We believe that we have addressed this issue. The latest WD indicates that
> URI can be expressed
> using *prov-dm literal* but their interpretation is outside the scope of
> prov-dm.

I've checked http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/model/ProvenanceModel.html#record-literal

In general this looks good.

Grammar: "@ (U+40) by followed a nonempty sequence" -> ".. followed by a .."

I like "In particular, a PROV-DM Literal may be a IRI-typed string
(with datatype xsd:anyURI); such IRI has no specific interpretation in
the context of PROV-DM."

However there is also in the example:

> The following example shows a literal of type xsd:QName (see QName [XMLSCHEMA-2]). The prefix ex must be bound to a namespace declared in the record container.
>   "ex:value" %% xsd:QName

Here there seems to be a particular interpretation for QNames (which
seems to match typical XML usage) - should this not be stated outside
the example?

Do such QName literals have any further interpretation in PROV-DM,
such as when used with prov:type or prov:role - or when the namespace
name resolves to <http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-dm/>?

(I assume that in PROV-DM to replace such QName literals with
xsd:anyURI literals would give a different interpretation)

In the PROV-ASN syntax:

> typedLiteral ::= quotedString %% datatype
> datatype ::= IRI
> IRI ::= an IRI compatible with production IRI in [IRI]

However most examples here and elsewhere in the document use QNames or
CURIEs for the datatype - which are not covered by [IRI]:

>  "http://example.org/foo" %% xsd:anyURI

We will have to choose one or introduce extra syntax for one of them,
because some (but not many) IRIs can also be interpreted as QNames,
for instance:

skype:soiland
h323:example.com

(To be fair all QNames can be parsed as anyURIs - but semantically
they are not anyURIs)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science