Re: playing with pil ontology

Hi Lena,
Thanks again for trying to use the ontology for the microarray use case!

My comments are inline:

>I am not questioning whether agent should be mapped to agents defined
elsewhere, which seems to >be obvious– only wondering whether agent “label”
and “description” are things we want to standardize >in our model or not. We
can “suggest” rdfs:label and rdfs:comment without enforcing it as such –
>having those included in the model will likely result in much less
heterogeneity when it comes to >reporting provenance (particularly since we
are defining it necessarily “open” and highly granular to fit >any
particular domain.

I am not sure I understand your point. The rdfs:label and rdfs:comment are
two of the nine annotation properties that are part of the OWL2 syntax. So,
the provenance ontology encoded in OWL includes them by default.

> What was its intended purpose/role in the description of provenance?

Provenance container, account, and collection are related concepts for
modeling a collection of provenance assertions. E.g. provenance of a
Affymetrix gene chip will be a collection of provenance assertions (date of
manufacture, location of manufacturer, production series etc.) that can be
stored in a single file and the file will be a provenance container.

>Example: a list of height measurement is an “untransformed” entity (a
dataset); the average of that list >is the “transformed” entity (another
dataset, although a very simple one).

>I am dealing with much more complex workflows, (e.g. files containing the
outcome of a microarray >experiment as the untransformed dataset and a list
of differentially expressed genes as the >transformed dataset), so please
take the example above is just illustrative.

I am not sure I see the granularity/expressivity issue in the above example
(from your first mail). Both the "untransformed" and "transformed" entities
map to input and output data of a process execution - we can create subclass
of Entity for this purpose.

>An investigator (agent) performs an experiment That experiment has several
input parameters, some >of which are entities (e.g. samples), other are not
(e.g. temperature) Resulting from the experiment are >several output
parameters (entities)

I am confused by the above scenario. Why is temperature not an entity? Both
the input (sample) and (temperature) are special types (sub class) of
entities - (a) InputData and (b) InputParameter etc.

> So if I understand what you are saying correctly, “temperature” would be
an entity of type “input”, >which in turn would be subclass of “role”. An
instance of “input” could then have a certain value (e.g. >15C) in one of
its properties?

>In that case, does it make sense to include “input” and “output” classes in
the model as subclasses of >“role”? Or is this something that me and Stephan
exemplify in the primer document under “usage of >agent” (or something of
the sort)?

I agree with Khalid's example where Role allows us to model more complex
scenarios. For example, X is an instance of class HumanBeing (perhaps as
subclass of entity) and X has multiple roles - researcher, parent, soccer
player etc. To model these "functions" we will use the Role class. I believe
in the microarray scenario (in your first mail) Roles are not needed.

> In that case, does it make sense to include “input” and “output” classes
in the model as >subclasses of “role”? Or is this something that me and
Stephan exemplify in the primer >document under “usage of agent” (or
something of the sort)?

Sorry I did not understand this. Role can be used by any entity, why only
"usage of agent"?

Thanks.

Best,
Satya