Re: [paq] using anchor or different links

Paul,
Yogesh,

Paul Groth wrote:
> Hi Yogesh,
>
> Thanks for the clarifications. If Graham is happy I think changing the
> names seems appropriate.
>
> Graham?
>
> cheers,
> Paul
>

> Yogesh Simmhan wrote:
>> | Two things around the use of "anchor". One I would like all
>> proposals to
>> | use the same terminology for consistency so could we use "anchor" in
>> the
>> | html case?
>> The IETF spec uses the "anchor" parameter name [1] to refer to the
>> Context IRI
>> [2]. So "Context URI" may be a better term for the purposes of
>> description. The
>> "anchor" name itself can be used as the actual header/tag/attribute name.
>>
>> See www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/74

I think I'm OK with "Context-URI" rather than "Target-URI", thougth there are
some other issues I'd like to see settled before finally committing on this.

But I'm a bit confused by the references here to "The anchor name itself can be
used as the actual header/tag/attribute name".  What we're actually proposing
here is a new link relation type for use primarily in an HTML <Link> element.

>> | Also, is the "anchor" defined in the IETF spec what we mean?
>> |
>> The spec states: "By default, the context of a link conveyed in the
>> Link header
>> field  is the IRI of the requested resource.
>> When present, the anchor parameter overrides this with another URI,
>> such as a
>> fragment of this resource, or a third resource (i.e., when the anchor
>> value is
>> an absolute URI)."
>>
>> My reading of this is that the relation (e.g. provenance) by default
>> describes
>> the entire resource being accessed through HTTP. It is possible to
>> have the
>> relationship describe either a subset of the current resource (this is
>> advantageous when we want to have different provenance to describe
>> different
>> parts of the HTML file, though it is out of scope for the current
>> scenario), and
>> in addition, used to describe an external resource (e.g. an image in
>> the HTML
>> document). This seems to fit our description of target-uri.

These are additional possible uses for the target/context URI, IMO, but the
compelling use case here was an HTML resource on a memory stick, for which no
other URI is known.

>> There are two caveats in the spec that state
>> "Consuming implementations can choose to ignore links with an anchor
>> parameter.", and
>> "Link headers that use the "anchor" parameter to associate a link's
>> context with
>> another resource should be treated with due caution."

Which spec is this?  Actually, I don't see those caveats as problems.  (a) may
result in the consuming application failing to locate provenance information,
which I regard as a "fail safe".  (b) In my view, the provenance information
should be self-defining with respect to target/context URIs, so I think amn
incorrect URI leads to a failure to find information rather than a wrong
interpretation.  See also: PAQ security considerations.

>> However, the advantages of leveraging the existing anchor parameter
>> for PAQ
>> would seem to outweigh these concerns, as opposed to introducing a new
>> "target"
>> relationship.

I would agree, except that there is no equivalent for the HTML <link> element?
which is the case for which we nost need a solution.  It's availability for use
with HTTL link elements is, IMO, at most a side effect.