Re: PROV-ISSUE-56 (derivation-definition-does-not-imply-transitivity): Derivation as defined is not transitive [Conceptual Model]

Hi,

I think that derivation *should* be transitive. The counter example that
Graham found is indicative of an issue in the definition of derivation
and not on its transitiveness. If we look at the definition it states that

"Derivation expresses that some characterized thing is transformed from,
created from, or affected by another characterized thing."

By referring just to the above definition, derivation seems to be
transitive.

The text in the document tries to be more specific by stating conditions
that should be satisfied in order for the derivation to hold.
Specifically, the text states that:

"From an assertion isDerivedFrom(B,A), the values of some of the
attributes B are at least partly determined by the values of some
attributes of A".

In my opinion, the above statement is incorrect, it states a condition
that is stronger to what is needed to express derivation. The condition
stated is sufficient for inferring derivation, but it is not necessary.
If people insist on bringing attribute values to the picture when
talking about derivation, then I would suggest to modify the above text
as follows:

"If the values of some of the attributes an Entity B are partly or fully
determined by the values of some attributes of an another Entity A, then
isDerivedFrom(B,A) holds".

Thanks, khalid