Re: PROV-ISSUE-67 (single-execution): Why is there a difference in what is represented by one vs multiple executions? [Conceptual Model]

I'm not fully up to speed on this discussion, but there's a consideration I
wanted to suggest.  The distinction between single- and multiple process
execution steps seems to assume that at some level there are distinct atomic
operations.

But consider a dataset stored on a medium that is subject to degradation over
time.  What is the atomic item of "process execution" in this degradation
process? Individual state changes at the atomic/molecular level?  (I think not.)

SO: do we need a model that allows a mereological interpretation of process
execution?

(I think this also overlaps the discussion of ISSUE 66)