Re: PROV-ISSUE-64 (definition-use): definition of use [Conceptual Model]

Luc Moreau wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> On 07/29/2011 10:13 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>> [[
>> A reference to a given BOB may appear in multiple use assertions that
>> refer to a given process execution, but each of those use assertions
>> must have a distinct role.
>> ]]
>> In light of the above, this seems nonsensical to me.
>>

> I am trying to understand what the issue is.
>
> We're trying to say:
>
> For any b, bob(b,[...])
> For any pe, processExecution(pe)
>
>     for any two assertions use(pe,b,r1,t1) and use(pe,b,r2,t2), then
>      r1 <> r2
>
> Is there a problem with this?

I now understand what you are trying to express.

Is there a problem?  I don't know, because I don't properly understand what
purpose "role" is serving here.

Does anything actually break if this requirement is dropped?  I.e. if it's OK to
say:

   use(pe,b,r1,t1)
AND
   use(pe,b,r1,t2)