Re: PROV-ISSUE-67 (single-execution): Why is there a difference in what is represented by one vs multiple executions? [Conceptual Model]

Hi Jim,

I think we share a different understanding of isDerivedFrom.

For me, fully expressed, isDerivedFrom should be:

isDerivedFrom(e2, e1, pe, r2, r1)

meaning that e2 was derived by e1, by means of a process
execution pe, which generated e2 with role r2, and used e1 with role r1.

In its simplified form,
isDerivedFrom(e2, e1)
implies that there exists a pe and roles r2 and r1, such that
isDerivedFrom(e2, e1,pe,r2,r1)
but pe,r2,r1 may not have been asserted.

It's not that pe is atomic or not. It's that there is a tight link between
the derivation and  the process execution.

isDerivedFromInMultipleSteps is silent about that link.

I am not trying to infer derivation beyond transitive closures.

Regards,
Luc