Re: specializationOf and inference

Stian, James, thanks for your answers.

Overall, they confirm my intuitions:

* my N3 "inheritance rule" is a bit too strong
* owl:inverseFunctionalProperty is, somehow, as "dangerous" as owl:sameAs

On 27 July 2017 at 12:12, Stian Soiland-Reyes <
soiland-reyes@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Well it is not wrong with specialization – it’s just that OWL semantics
> does not have a temporal aspect, the statements are true inside whatever is
> the “world view” of the ontology (e.g. snapshot as of yesterday). A
> different snapshot is a different ontology.

So to distinguish two different world views (just today or true since the
> 80s) should in a sense in OWL be in two different ontologies/RDF resources.

I don't think that this is inherent to OWL.
I could very well, using pure OWL2, model a more complex world view with
"snapshot" resources. E.g.

  :Document a owl:Class . # the long-living document
  :Revision a owl:Class.   # a snapshot of a document at a given time
  :revisionOf a owl:ObjectProperty ;
      rdfs:domain :Revision ;
      rdfs:range :Document .
  :title a owl:DatatypeProperty ;
      owl:propertyChainAxiom (:revisionOf :title).

The last axiom states that revisions inherit the title of their document.
The big difference here (with prov:specializationOf) is that I have to
specify explicitly *each * property that can be inherited though
:revisionOf, so it is my responsibility to avoid inheriting IF-properties...

So it *is* possible in OWL to adopt a complex world view with different
"aspects / snapshots / alternatives" of the same resource.

However, and this is where I join you, most **vocabularies** are not
designed for this, and clearly, the definition of properties as inverse
functional limits the use of those properties to world views where there is
no such thing as "almost the same" entities...

So if I want to state the SSN of <#me>, I can not reuse a predicate from an
existing ontology if their author decided to make it an IF-property. I
would have to define my own notion of SSN, which is not inverse functional.

  pa