Re: Provenance, PROV-XML, and storage

Hi Mike,

Great that you're looking at PROV.

I think this is a personal preference how you store the files. But one way
to do it is based on around the file the provenance is for. So if you have
a file content.txt you would store the provenance of it as
content-prov.provx

Thanks
Paul

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Mike Loll <mike.loll@gmail.com> wrote:

>    Hello,
>
>  I'm experimenting with using the PROV-* standards to provide provenance
> of data my system operates upon.  I'm very excited by the possibilities
> offered by the PROV model, thank you for your work on this.
>
>  I admit my question may not be as interesting since it is more an
> implementation question but I'm hoping someone here has some experience on
> this.  Right now, I just want to store my provenance events in PROV-XML on
> disk.  It is unclear to me the best approach to storing my provenance data.
>
> Some of my questions are around the following:
>
> * Should I store all provenance for my entire system in one massive
> prov-xml file?  Seems wrong to me.
>
> * Maybe I should store one set of provenance in a single file and impose
> an ordering on the documents somehow (timestamps, timestamps in the prov
> data, etc)?
>
>  Any pointers are appreciated.  Maybe it is just personal
> preference/requirements driven in the end.
>
>  --
> Mike Loll

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Web & Media Group | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam