Re: [wbs] response to 'W3C PROV Vocabulary Usage Survey'

On 03/05/2013 03:00 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> Hi, I am one of the members of the W3C Provenance WG.

Hi Stian,

> Thanks for your registrations. Our survey system is a bit 'lossy' as
> it overwrites based on email address at
> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/46974/prov-vocabulary-usage-survey/results
> - I'll see if we can find a way to list them all.
>

> The rest of this email is just a personal comment and does not
> (necessarily) reflect the view of the WG.
>

> I think your datasets at  http://fao.270a.info/ and
> http://oecd.270a.info/ show beautiful use of PROV and VoID, has a very
> simple and easy way to present the metadata as HTML, and are overall
> very understandable and well structured.
>

> Is the group and/or myself OK to promote these in say a blog post as
> an example of best practice, or is the site not yet public? I find no
> links to them with Google (although they have been indexed).

The sites are public. There is also http://bfs.270a.info/ (I'm not sure
if that made it through your survey). I will announce another major
dataset this week.

> A few questions or bugs, which I hope you don't mind me raising:

On the contrary, I need more of these! Thanks.

> If I retrieve http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859
> with Accept: text/turtle, I get redirected to
> http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859.rdf rather
> than http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859.turtle
>

> Looking at http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859.html
> it includes alternate-links to json, rdf and turtle (yay!) - but the
> turtle link has:
>
>   <link rel="alternate" type="text/plain"
> href="http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859.turtle"
> title="Turtle version of this document"/>
>
> Here I assumed type should be text/turtle. The dc:format of the ...rdf
> also shows text/plain instead of text/turtle.

Indeed. The "feature" probably originates somewhere in Paget. The
platform is on the edge of being archaic and I haven't looked at it
closer in awhile. I'm aware of some of these annoyances, so, will attend
soon enough. Might have to drop Linked Data Pages/Paget/Moriarty/ARC2
altogether.

Sorry for the inconvenience. You could use a tool like rapper (if you
are not already) and look the other way for the time being? :)

> In the prov:Activity
> http://fao.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214190859, you list:
>
>      prov:used <http://www.fao.org/figis/...9>,
>           <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wget> .
>
> I like how you add prov:wasDerivedFrom between the generated resources
> and the 'source' entity - this helps distinguish the source entity
> from the wget tool - like in
> http://oecd.270a.info/code/1.0/CL_TIGS_IO_LOCATION - without needing
> to qualify it with custom prov:Role's.

I would take my actions not as someone that has a clever way of working
with PROV-O but rather someone that understood enough to put it to use.
Or at least I thought I understood enough. A part of the property
selection was due to things being within reach without hurting my head.
I'll take a closer look at prov:Role next time. Thanks.

> I initially wondered about the fact that the wget software is also
> 'used', as there are multiple approaches (ex:WGet specialization of
> prov:Activity; or a prov:Agent  (the server?) executing prov:hadPlan
> <http://wget>; or perhaps a specialization with prov:wasAssociatedWith
> [ prov:specializationOf <http://wget>, prov:actedOnBehalfOf :you ] . )
>

> Is the wget 'used' here because the activity is considered to be
> executing a script (or manually executed command) that combines wget
> and the FAO query..?   If an actual script was used, perhaps it could
> be referred to with prov:hadPlan in a qualified association:
>
> <http://example.com/activity> prov:qualifiedAssociation [
>      prov:agent <http://csarven.ca/#i> ;
>      prov:hadPlan <http://github.com/some/script.pl> ;
> ]
>

> Or just embedded commands:
>
> :a prov:qualifiedAssociation [
>      prov:agent <http://csarven.ca/#i> ;
>      prov:hadPlan [ a ex:Command ;
>          prov:value "wget http://asdjfhjsadhfjsadfh"
>      ] ;
> ]

This is a lot closer to what I intended. That is, wget is just being
employed by a Bash script to retrieve the datasets. For the
transformation activity, I will also include the saxonb-xslt command.

I'm not sure if it shows right now or not (I had some bugs in the past
week or so), but, one of the cool things that I like about PROV-O is
prov:wasInformedBy. It lets me say this:

Transformation activity:
http://oecd.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130214234147

prov:wasInformedBy

Retrieval activity:
http://oecd.270a.info/provenance/activity/20130206112045

> Although I can understand if you think that would be too much detail! :-)

Not at all. Thank you for the feedback. I'd love to give PROV-O another.
Right now I'm trying not to break things along the way to publishing
these new datasets :)

-Sarven