Re: PROV-O in LOV : URI, namespace and versions

Bernard,

On Jun 17, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim and all
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Not much time to parse all your answers right now, I will be back on this on Wednesday.
>
> Quick answer for now. You wrote
>
>   30 <http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#>
>   31     a owl:Ontology .
>
> 1237 <http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o#>
> 1238     a owl:Ontology ;
>
> HA! The LOV-Bot (and myself) did not parse down to the second owl:Ontology declaration, because it assumes there should be only one such
>  ... but seems to me this is adding to the pile of issues rather than anything. Why the first declaration, then?

As Daniel described in his response, <http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#> is an owl:Ontology that is an aggregation of a handful of owl:Ontologies (prov-o is one of them, prov-aq, prov-dc are two others).
<http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#> is explicitly typed to an owl:Ontology because 1) it is one, and 2) some consuming tools required the explicit type assertion.

It seems to me that your bot should remember which ontology it requested, then look for that specific ontology's description in the representation that was returned.
So, if I want to know about owl:Ontology http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#, I request RDF from http://www.w3.org/ns/prov (since clients don't request fragIDs), and then look into that graph for descriptions of http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#. A bot shouldn't get distracted by other instances of owl:Ontology that may also be mentioned in the representation.

> You wrote :
> "http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov are owl:Ontologies."

Apologies, I mis-spoke and was not being specific enough for the rest of the discussion. Rephrasing:

[[
yes, the namespace of the vocabulary is http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o# and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov# are owl:Ontologies.
]]

(Though, I wouldn't object to anybody *also* typing http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov to be owl:Ontologies.)

You will note that one of the owl:Ontology URIs is also the namespace.

Representations for the owl:Ontologies http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o# and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov# may be accessed from the URLs http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov, respectively, using appropriate content negotiation.

> and later on
> "Could you explain why you would expect http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o to be a owl:Ontology?"

I'm not implying that http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o is NOT an owl:Ontology, I'm simply trying to understand why you expected it to be.
As I mentioned above, it would *not* be wrong for one to state that http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o is an owl:Ontology, but you'll never find that assertion from w3.org.
The WG used the convention that the "hash URI" instances are owl:Ontology.

> and finally
> "http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o provides the resource representation of the owl:Ontology http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o#"
>
> Now I'm totally confused ... I have to munch over all this, but  all LOV architecture is based on discovering the ontology URI (here it seems to be http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o# and not http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o but I'm not sure) from de-referencing its namespace http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#

Perhaps the confusion is that there are a handful of ontologies.

http://www.w3.org/ns/prov# is an owl:Ontology that contains ANY term from ANY PROV-WG document, regardless of Rec or Note (see http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#)
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-o# is an owl:Ontology that contains the Recommendation terms. (see http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/)
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-aq# is an owl:Ontology that contains the Note terms for access and query. (see http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-aq/)
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-dictionary# is an owl:Ontology that contains the Note terms for dictionaries (see http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dictionary/#dictionary-ontological-definition)
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-links# is an owl:Ontology that contains the Note terms for bundling linking (see http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-links/)
http://www.w3.org/ns/prov-dc# is an owl:Ontology that contains the Note terms for mapping to Dublin Core (see http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-dc/#bib-refinements)

> If you tell me the configuration you have enables to do that and that there is no possible ambiguity, please help us to understand how so that we can improve the LOV-Bot behavior accordingly …

I'm happy to point you to any configuration that we have. Which configuration do you need?

> The bottom line is that after two years of work on this, hundreds of vocabulary URI and namespaces parsed, dozens of different conneg configurations found, and so many discussions and exchanges with so many SemWeb gurus, we're still enable to settle this issue properly.
>
> And yours is yet another configuration …

I'm familiar with LOV and I think it's a great project.
If PROV isn't suiting LOV's bot, then I'm eager to reconcile it.

We tried to provide all of these relations explicitly in the RDF that we're publishing and its done in best-practice vocabularies, so if you think something is missing please let us know.

Regards,
Tim