Re: Provenence ontology in BioPortal

Ray,

(cc'ing the prov comments list to archive the issue issue/resolution for accessing the OWL representation)

I don't see a `diff` between your new BioPortal copy and http://www.w3.org/ns/prov.owl, so it seems fine.

A note on naming and ontology composition:

PROV is actually a union of several ontologies, one of which is PROV-O. PROV-O is the subset that fulfills the Recommendation, while PROV also includes the terminology for all other PROV-WG documents, including the DC-TERMS mapping, Access and Query, mentionOf/bundling linking, etc. This is described in metadata and provenance in the OWL file as RDF and as comments.

So, your catalog could choose to list both PROV and PROV-O, or pick one to list.

After some discussion on the W3C list [1], LOV recently chose to list the aggregate for PROV and none of its component ontologies http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/details/vocabulary_prov.html

Regards,
Tim

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-comments/2013Jun/0010.html