Re: How to associate a Plan with a Bundle

Hi, Jacco.

I can offer one way to model what you describe.

On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Jacco van Ossenbruggen <Jacco.van.Ossenbruggen@cwi.nl> wrote:

> Dear WG,
>
> I have a multi-step prov:Plan that, when executed, generates an entire provenance graph, say a prov:Bundle. I assume this is a common use case in all workflow-based applications where the workflow/plan is more or less the blue print for the prov graph that is instantiated when the plan is executed.
>
> I want to express this relationship, but was surprised to see that Plans seem to be associated exclusively with single Activities,
> and not with Bundles (or Entities in general).
>
> Is this an oversight, and, if not, how do I establish the relationship between a Bundle and the Plan that generated it?

The key is that the Bundle was generated by the Activity of executing the workflow, and the Activity's Association had a Plan that was followed to perform the Activity.

A quick example:

:workflow_plan_1 a bpl:Workflow .  # bpl namespace is made up; I'm not a workflow guy.

:workflow_engine_5 a bpl:WorkflowEngine .

:workflow_execution_17
  a prov:Activity;
  prov:wasAssociatedWith :workflow_engine_5;
  prov:qualifiedAssociation [ # Don't use bnodes in practice.
      a prov:Association;
      prov:hadPlan :workflow_plan_1;
      prov:agent :workflow_engine_5;
 ];
.

:my_bundle {  # Note that the PROV recommendation say nothing about _how_ one associates provenance assertions to a bundle. Named graphs is one way.
    :my_bundle
           a prov:Bundle;
           prov:wasGeneratedBy :workflow_execution_17;  # This is the link from a Bundle to a Plan (via an Activity's Association).
    .
    :cake a prov:Entity;
        prov:wasAttributedTo :jacco . # Whatever your execution engine wanted to say….
}

Regards,
Tim