Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Small, scruffy provenance profile?]]

Hi David,

Actually, the primer is a the place to start  - check out
http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-primer/

Maybe, you can give some feedback on how we can improve the primer if it's
not what you're looking for.

Again thanks for interacting with the working group and your interest in
prov.

regards
Paul

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Jim McCusker emailed me privately, and I responded:
> [[
> On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 12:28 -0400, David Booth wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I had not looked at the PROV-O document.  I was assuming that an
> > ontology spec would get into the details, and the primer would be a
> > better starting point.  I like the "PROV-O at a glance" section:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/#prov-o-at-a-glance
> > That would serve as an excellent roadmap for a tutorial.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
>
> P.S. In looking further, I see that section 3 is organized that way:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/#description
> and does provide some tutorial-like material.  I guess I expected PROV-O
> to be reference material, rather than tutorial.  So now I'm confused:
> why is primer material both in the primer and in PROV-O?
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 19:01 +0200, Paul Groth wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >

> > Thanks for your comment. We are really sorry that the comment didn't
> > come through and there was an error in the document.
> >
> > I was wondering if your comment still applies? If you look at prov-o,
> > you'll see
> > section http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/#description-starting-point-terms
> >

> > This defines a core of provenance and everything else is bonus.
> >

> > Do you think pointing this out in a FAQ would help?
> >

> > or do you want something that breaks this out even more.
> >

> > regards
> > Paul
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> >         [This is my THIRD attempt to send these comments to the prov
> >         working
> >         group.  The primer at http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-primer/ says
> >         to send
> >         comments to public-prov-wg@w3.org , but since that has not
> >         worked I'm
> >         now trying public-prov-wg@w3.org ]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam