Re: PROVO-O in QUDT

From: Ralph TQ [Gmail] <rhodgson@topquadrant.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:17:51 -0800
Cc: public-prov-comments@w3.org
To: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>
Tim,

I consider both properties, prov:wasInfluencedBy and prov:wasInformedBy, semantically close.  Colloquially, one states that something was 'informed by" something else. In QUDT we want to say what guided or even contributed wholesale to a unit description. The domain and range of prov:wasInformedBy are both prov:Activity, whereas in QUDT, I am clearly speaking of an (abstract) Entity.  If were were to run an inference Units would become Activities.  To avoid this incorrect inference, we need to use prov:wasInfluencedBy. But that, to my way of thinking, has weaker semantics. Albeit a small point but a source of confusion that can lead to wrong inferences.

Ralph Hodgson, @ralphtq
Mobile Phone: +1 781-789-1664

CTO, TopQuadrant, @TopQuadrant