Re: relations between activites

dear tim, paul and stian,

thank you for following up on the question and opening an issue.

1. indeed other ontologies can be used to characterize some of the
relationships between activities. i'm happy to use partOf. however, in
general it seems the entity-entity relations have been well characterized,
while the same cannot be said for the others.

one related thought is using the wasAssociatedWith relationship also for
activities.

wasAssociatedWith(p2, p1, prov:type='dcterms:isPartOf')
wasAssociatedWith(p3, p1, prov:type='dcterms:isPartOf')
wasAssociatedWith(p3, p2, prov:type='ex:followed/overlapped/preceded')

2. an explicit prov notion of composition whether between agents, entities
or activities would be useful. i'm using collections to provide composition
of entities. see example 2 in the link below.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bic42-jURqPUzvTCB_YBL5xcxO5EgEcEiYi560W0dR4/edit

3. re: adequate prior art on activity composition and granularity
management: i think uml stands out in this context. while focused on
software and object oriented programming, it does bear a very similar
relationship to everyday entities and activities.

happy to provide any feedback that might be useful.

cheers,

satra