Re: PING call - Thursday 11 October 2018 at UTC 16 - Device Memory API

Regarding:
> 1. Privacy considerations of the Device Memory API

Given the proliferation of Accept-CH headers (device memory here, network information previously discussed), it seems like there’s a significant addition of fingerprinting surface area being exposed over time through this feature.  As the Accept-CH feature overall seems to be focused on providing an origin with a sense of the processing capabilities of a device, might it instead make more sense to create larger classes of devices + year (and therefore revealing less individuating information) e.g. Desired-Content-Profile: Heavyweight 2018 (for a high-end smartphone) or Desired-Content: Lightweight 2018. This could be derived from hardware constraints or a user preference.  For what it’s worth, some organizations already do so <https://code.fb.com/android/year-class-a-classification-system-for-android/>, which suggests there may be a path forward for this approach.

There’s also a discussion of exposing the amount of currently available memory to a site; I think that we should advise against doing so given the side channel attacks that this sort of access has been shown to enable (for example http://web.cse.ohio-state.edu/~zhang.834/papers/ndss18a.pdf <http://web.cse.ohio-state.edu/~zhang.834/papers/ndss18a.pdf>).

Finally, I note that this specification allows for this information to be sent either as a header or in response to a JS call.  In previous Accept-CH discussions, we’ve flagged that making this information available as a header makes it harder for fingerprinting to be detected by third parties / researchers / consumer advocates and / or combated by a UA; l think that we should continue to flag this risk here.

Best,
Jason