Re: DNT Session at TPAC Plenary Day

On Monday, September 3, 2018 6:47:56 PM CEST Lukasz Olejnik (W3C)
wrote:
> Sounds good. However, I believe the link should be more to
> ePrivacy reg, rather than GDPR. However, ePrivacy is rather fluid
> now. Is there someone with the working knowledge of GDPR +
> ePrivacy process as it unfolds?

The Commission version is seen as too restrictive and too permissive
and in general not of very high quality. Looks like the Commission
wasn't keen to make the effort of creating something of high quality
that will be massively changed by all parties involved.

The LIBE and Plenary Parliament version contains all rules necessary
to make DNT a consent mechanism. But the wording is neutral enough
technology - wise, that it will also cover other systems (like the
things developed by the SPECIAL project (specialprivacy.eu) or like
extensions and future semantically rich versions of a DNT like
protocol. The LIBE version had over 700 amendments to the Commission
version and has improved the quality a lot.

The Council (as was done for GDPR) is the blocking force. They
haven't submitted anything so far and lend their ear more to the
marketing industry. This is the biggest uncertainty for the moment.

The parties will soon enter into the so called Trilog (COM/PAR/
COUN). In this Trilog, there can be significant changes.

One of the issues is that the marketing industry claims very loudly
that privacy handling technology like DNT is unimplementable, that
nothing is on the market and that the world will fall apart if the
LIBE version would make it. (All arguments known from the DNT
battle)

So if the technology industry wants to save the option of having
privacy handling technologies with clear legal backing, they need to
counter the marketing industry argumentation that DNT and the like
is unimplementable (for economic or scientific reasons). This will
considerably influence the debate. Every proof of concept
implemented will change the landscape of the debate.
The SPECIAL project asserts it works but also researches new
directions.

 --Rigo