Re: Tracking with ultrasound beacons. Web Audio API privacy considerations need updating?

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 03:31:02 +1000, Alan deLespinasse
<adelespinasse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe there should be a set of standard notification sounds that web
> pages can play, similarly to how there are standard mouse cursors to
> choose from.
> Browsers could implement their own policies about whether a page should
> ask permission before being allowed to play standard notifications, or
> only before allowing arbitrary sound-making. If a page is only allowed
> to play standard notifications, there would be no risk of ultrasonic
> tracking.
>
> Not only would this allow increased privacy, it would make it a lot
> easier for simple web pages to play notifications sounds. No need to
> create samples and download them to the client.

I think this proposal has merit and we should explore it further.

> I think a lot of OSes already have something like this. There can be
> facilities for "themes" and for user-defined custom notifications. I
> don't think it needs to get that fancy, though, for most users.

Right. But for example blind users *often* want to customise their
notification signals, and having a set of them could make that process
easier - and easier to share, so people don't have to do it all themselves.

> One potential drawback is having to increase the number of privacy
> settings users have to deal with, or having to ask them for
> permissions more often.

Well, we only increase the settings for increased privacy, in the case
where the browser doesn't make automated decisions...

cheers

chaals