Re: Comments/Questions on Media Capture Streams – Privacy and Security Considerations

On Thursday 29 October 2015 15:37:12 Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 October 2015 15:04:05 Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > > Chrome and Firefox do both of the two things listed in this quoted block
> > >
> > > 1. Inform the user that the devices are hot.
> >
> > Ok, in this case I can understand that if one has a visual indication that
> > mic
> > and camera are "on" the need for an additional prompt is somewhat moot.
> >
> > > 2. Provide mechanisms for revoking consent.
> >
> > This is then a question of usability. Is clicking on the visual indication
> > allowing to revoke the consent/permission?
>
> Yes, generally.

In this case, my earlier criticism was based on insufficient information. I
think this does what it is supposed to do. I still think that persistent
(forever) permissions are a mistake. But this is mitigated by the fact that
the browser indicates when mic and camera are "on".

 --Rigo