Re: indicating 'private browsing mode' over the net (was Re: Super Cookies in Privacy Browsing mode)

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:27 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 29, 2015, at 19:09 , Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting mix of norms and tech -- and yes, a different privacy threat
>>> model from the one many of us are accustomed to considering. Here, we're
>>> trusting the server to share our interests and want to help us enforce
>>> the contextual boundaries we choose, even if its knowledge could span
>>> those boundaries.
>>>
>>> This model is a better match with the Web Origin security model -- where
>>> an origin site is presumed to have control of the web application
>>> security, and the end-user must choose to trust the origin (with limited
>>> user-side overrides) or not visit the site.
>>>
>>> I wonder what sorts of feedback could help to reinforce to end-users
>>> that their trust was in fact merited.
>>>
>>> --Wendy
>>

>> It would have to include all the servers being accessed, third-parties also. I think David's header would be seen all of them, and it would only take one to ignore the contextual boundaries, decide to combine multiple personas with other data in a PII keyed database, then broadcast it to the world (and UA based UUIDs are far more reliably user-identifying than IP addresses which are usually ephemeral and non-unique).
>
> True, but donĄ¯t forget weĄ¯re coming from a state where the servers donĄ¯t even know of the desire.  I donĄ¯t mind machine-based discoverability, but itĄ¯s tricky to work out how to include transparent proxies and caches in that.

Cookies and NAT/proxy inspection are entrusted along with explicit disclosure of user information to the server of origin, of course. But there should be a specification for http::forbidden and alternative error code interpretation so for the proxy-server connection policy makers can declare such in terms of use.

Gabriel DB Fernandez
pgp: 9425a6af