RE: indicating 'private browsing mode' over the net (was Re: Super Cookies in Privacy Browsing mode)

From: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:09:09 -0000
To: "'Wendy Seltzer'" <wseltzer@w3.org>, "'David Singer'" <singer@apple.com>, <chaals@yandex-team.ru>

> Interesting mix of norms and tech -- and yes, a different privacy threat
> model from the one many of us are accustomed to considering. Here, we're
> trusting the server to share our interests and want to help us enforce
> the contextual boundaries we choose, even if its knowledge could span
> those boundaries.
>
> This model is a better match with the Web Origin security model -- where
> an origin site is presumed to have control of the web application
> security, and the end-user must choose to trust the origin (with limited
> user-side overrides) or not visit the site.
>
> I wonder what sorts of feedback could help to reinforce to end-users
> that their trust was in fact merited.
>
> --Wendy

It would have to include all the servers being accessed, third-parties also. I think David's header would be seen all of them, and it would only take one to ignore the contextual boundaries, decide to combine multiple personas with other data in a PII keyed database, then broadcast it to the world (and UA based UUIDs are far more reliably user-identifying than IP addresses which are usually ephemeral and non-unique).

Maybe there should be an implicit web of trust that covers all the servers receiving user specific data on a page, where they all commit to a common declared level of privacy and security. The browser could then have UI to communicate that.

WebID could be used to identify all the parties (not just origins), and a manifest could define the trust relationship.

Mike