Re: On the european response to Snowden

In that context I'd like to draw the attention of this group to a report on
'mass surveillance' which was adopted yesterday by the Council of Europe.
http://website-pace.net/documents/19838/1085720/20150126-MassSurveillance-EN.pdf/df5aae25-6cfe-450a-92a6-e903af10b7a2

The Assembly of the Council of Europe urged Council of Europe Member States
and Observer States (which includes the U.S.) to "agree on a multilateral
“Intelligence Codex” for their intelligence services, which lays down rules
governing cooperation for purposes of the fight against terrorism and
organised crime. *The Codex should include a mutual engagement to apply to
the surveillance of each other’s nationals and residents the same rules as
those applied to their own, and to share data obtained through lawful
surveillance measures solely for the purposes for which they were
collected."*

More details on this recommendation can be found in paragraphs 115-118 of
the report. The report is in line with the proposals of the European
Council on Foreign Affairs which was initially posted in this discussion,
and this paper that was published by the Oxford Internet Institute earlier
this month: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2551164