Re: Super Cookies in Privacy Browsing mode

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 13:22:20 -0800
Cc: public-privacy@w3.org, Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>, Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>

> On Jan 16, 2015, at 13:08 , Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org> wrote:
>
> On Thursday 15 January 2015 16:35:23 David Singer wrote:
>> Here’s an example.  A couple of years ago I used ‘private browsing’ on our
>> home computer to look for my wife’s present. Yes, all the history, cookies
>> etc. were cleared of the history.
>>
>> But when I checked ‘search history’ on Google, of course, there was all the
>> data! Servers are currently unaware that the user is currently trying to do
>> something private; I am suggesting this as a way that they can be aware and
>> nice, without actually impacting their business.
>
> Yes, this could be a signal that could be carried over an extended DNT
> infrastructure. And you need the feedback from the server to make sure they're
> actually doing it. And if they lie, let the legal system do the work…

Actually, I disagree.

a) It’s independent of DNT.  Orthogonal.
b) Unless you are paranoid, you don’t need the feedback. Anything they do is an improvement on today, and I don’t expect there to be much in the way of conformance rules, since the details of the handling are very much specific to the nature of the service.

> Yep, this was also meandering through my thought garden and is an extension of
> the sticky policy paradigm, if you think it through..
>
> --Rigo

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.