Re: Article from The Atlantic on the ad-support internet

On 16 Aug 2014, at 00:37, ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:

> This is a well-written, thought-provoking article, well worth reading albeit a bit long.
> David, please consider forwarding to the AC list and www-tag.
>
> The solution it recommends, fee-for-service, will not solve all the Web's problems but is
> certainly worth debating.   Even charging a fraction of a cent for every email you send
> would have a major impact on spam.

Perversely, generating a potential stream of revenue (based on the number of emails sent by subscribers) creates an incentive for someone to
(i) generate spurious email traffic on a user’s behalf, and
(ii) “divert” the resulting revenue to their own ends.

(By analogy: cloned cellphones have been used to dial premium-rate numbers; the result is that the legitimate subscriber gets billed for the attacker’s access to the premium-rate number. This is good for the attacker if the attacker is the one who owns the premium-rate number…).

I’m not saying Ashok is wrong, by the way, but apparently rational mechanisms can have unexpected outcomes.

Best wishes,
Robin