Re: Article 29 WP and cookies

Hi David,

I share your concern, and whenever possible Christine and I tend to make the point that legislating in terms of specific technologies seldom works well. If there is a benefit to the current EU cookie laws, it is that they provide a very useful example.

I've also just turned from a session with the Data Protection committee of the Council of Europe, which has turned its attention to biometrics. I made the same point in that context, and Christine and I will keep an eye on that work in coming months.

That said, I do think it is important that those responsible for technical standardisation work are kept appropriately informed of policy directions, and that we do our best to improve policy-makers' understanding of technology and standardisation. As it happens, the committee also heard a presentation yesterday about the activities of ISO SC27, particularly WG5 (Privacy and Identity Management), which I believe they found most informative. This came about as a result of my putting members of the two groups together earlier in the year.

Yrs.
Robin

Robin Wilton

Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy