FTC Staff Report Recommends Ways to Improve Mobile Privacy Disclosures

From: Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 23:17:51 +0000
To: W3C Public Privacy <public-privacy@w3.org>

This report by the FTC on 1 Feb. 2013 may be of interest:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2013/02/mobileprivacy.shtm

Direct link:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/2013/02/130201mobileprivacyreport.pdf

I would note the following quote from page 21:

"..., and we encourage Apple and other platforms to continue moving towards an effective DNT setting on mobile devices that meets the criteria we have previously articulated for an effective DNT system: that it be (1) universal, (2) easy to find and use, (3) persistent, (4) effective and enforceable, and (5) limit collection of data, not just its use to serve advertisements."

The current DNT proposal has some way to go before meeting the criteria that the FTC articulate, in particular I believe it does little to limit collection of data, and it is not designed to be effective in limiting collection of data.

cheers
Fred