Re: PING - please volunteer - Ambient Light Events

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:30:07 +0900
Cc: <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>, <erin@elchemy.org>, <public-privacy@w3.org>, <wilton@isoc.org>
To: "<Ian.Oliver@nokia.com>" <Ian.Oliver@nokia.com>

Le 20 déc. 2012 à 18:53, <Ian.Oliver@nokia.com> <Ian.Oliver@nokia.com> a écrit :
> This particular spec/API in the form here has no privacy aspects at all. If there are then it will be buried down in the infrastructure supporting such an API/Spec and thus be out of scope and highly context dependent.

In most circumstances, the technology is neutral because its goal is to propagate a message. HTTP logs are not privacy invasive, but their records on a long term might become privacy invasive.

The strategy is then becoming a question such as

* may I access to the information I created?
* may I record it myself (locally)?
* am I able to have actions on this personal record?
* may I block partly or totally the record of the information?
  (think about geolocation API)
* may I fake it?
  (think about fuzzy geolocation or voluntary fake location)

In the case of Ambient events, the first privacy issue we could raise, does the API provide a mechanism (messaging channel) to block and/or modify the information at the user level.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software