Re: search engines: right to be forgotten, sitemap.xml proposed solution

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:48:29 +0900
To: Joe Alhadeff <joseph.alhadeff@oracle.com>

Le 14 déc. 2012 à 08:31, Joe Alhadeff a écrit :
> The question of greater complexity is what if I take a picture of my friend and you are in the background, perhaps even doing something you would not wish to be captured?  That is more permanent, but that is the risk of being in a public place... More of those nuances :-)

First, it depends on where :)
There is an interesting bridge in Canada in Ottawa/Gatineau. One side is Ontario, one side is Québec with two different laws with regards to photographs taken in public.

In Ontario, you can take photos of people for publications. In Québec you can't. [1]

And yes there are small social catastrophes. The example that Joe is giving about the background information. It happened to me already. This is getting worse with things like automatic facial recognition.
Let's say someone identifies you on a social network, and then the social network matching pattern engines start to identify you in all other pictures they have of you without you being on the social network at all. A recent case of this in the adult industry. [2]

[1]: http://www.advertisinglawyer.ca/news-mag-1998-08.htm
[2]: http://www.zdnet.com/porn-companies-adopt-facial-recognition-technology-encourage-instagram-photos-7000007631/

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/