Re: Another piece of state management, another way to track...

Le 20 nov. 2012 à 02:12, David Singer a écrit :
> Of course, that whenever the browser remembers something -- in this case, a replacement URL because of an HTTP 'moved permanently' response -- it can be used as a tracker.
>
> <http://elie.im/blog/security/tracking-users-that-block-cookies-with-a-http-redirect/>
> <http://www.scatmania.org/2012/04/24/visitor-tracking-without-cookies/>

You can add to the pile and even simpler than the redirect… HTTP ETAG [1], the company [2] being super happy to announce it:

    Today, Affiliate Window is happy to announce
    the introduction of Flash Cookies and HTTP
    ETag technology that will enhance our current
    tracking solution.

I don't have enough palms for my face.
It reminds me about the message [3] from Mark Watson from Netflix on this list recently

    Sure. Democratically arrived at public policy
    is certainly a form of user choice in this
    context. Sometimes, though, people also want
    to grant W3C decisions that status …

The thing is why the user should be the one paying the cost of bad practices done by other companies. Why should the user be more identifiable across the board to solve issues created by some rogue companies. The "good" companies should clean up their business maybe and become champions for the users, not the opposite.

[1]: http://wiki.affiliatewindow.com/index.php/Merchant_Tracking_Guide#ETag_Tracking
[2]: http://blog.affiliatewindow.com/?p=621
[3]: http://www.w3.org/mid/A39D791F-CB84-4920-ABBE-D1F99D31F001@netflix.com

--