Re: Rethinking KeyStorage

On Nov 8, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Le 8 nov. 2012 à 11:02, Mark Watson a écrit :
>> Ok, let me restate my point slightly: if you made ad targeting on the web impossible tomorrow, it would have dramatically negative economic consequences for the web and most of our jobs.
>
> Allow me to slightly tweak this one ;)
>
>    if you made ad targeting on the web impossible
>    in the future, it would change dramatically the
>    business models for the web. Some companies would
>    disappear, some would be created.
>
> My point is that the Web would not disappear because of that but indeed it would dramatically change and that's fine.

I'm not sure it is. We generally let users decide (through the market) which models should flourish, rather than try to dictate that through technology, or any other way.

If we succeed in giving users control of their privacy, and they all decide to block targeted ads, then we'll end up in the same place, but that should happen as a result of user choice. If it is a result of user choice, then companies will adapt as you describe. I'm not sure companies will be similarly motivated if done by fiat. More likely they would abandon the technology in question.

…Mark