Children's online privacy.

From: Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 02:54:39 +0000
To: "public-privacy@w3.org" <public-privacy@w3.org>
Note sure if this has come up before but there is some interesting discussion about FTC rules relating to online privacy for children:

Here are the proposed changes:
http://ftc.gov/os/2012/08/120801copparule.pdf

NY Times article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/technology/silicon-valley-objects-to-online-privacy-rule-proposals-for-children.html

Slashdot
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/11/06/2239233/a-trail-of-clicks-culminating-in-conflict

Apple's response:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/comments/copparulereview2012/561789-00096-84317.pdf

IAB comments:
http://www.iab.net/media/file/IAB-Comments-COPPA-Rule-Review-16-CFR-Part-312-Project-No-P104503.pdf

ACT comments:
http://actonline.org/pressreleases/2012/09/26/ftc-taxes-apps-privacy-changes-result-in-quarter-billion-dollar-cost-to-education-app-developers/

The responses are interesting.  There is the 'show us the harm' tactic,
the 'we don't control the platform' excuse, the 'damage to the economy'
tactic, the 'destroy the market' tactic, the 'we have it all under
control' tactic.  Sound familiar.

Part of my motivation for the PUA CG work is from seeing children today using what has become a spyware platform.  Most of the  web apps I see very young children using need no web access at all, apart from downloading their resources, and could well be run in a sandbox, avoiding many of the collection issues.  You see children being forced to sign up for email accounts just to download free apps (Windows 8 cough) and being channeled into using cloud storage.   What legacy is this to leave to the next generation?

I am quite hopeful that the PUA CG can deliver a platform that limits the UA monitoring in children's web applications.  I would like to let the FTC know that their concerns are not being ignored in the web platform, but my 'diplomatic' skills are a little challenged.

cheers
Fred