Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 23 October 2012 10:58, Robin Wilton <wilton@isoc.org> wrote:

> Robin Wilton
> Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy
> Internet Society
>
> email: wilton@isoc.org
> Phone: +44 705 005 2931
> Twitter: @futureidentity
>

> On 23 Oct 2012, at 09:44, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> Not disagreeing with any of the above, but observing that:
>
> a) There's no particular reason you could not have an email per site
> as well as a key per site.
>
> b) Linkability it not, as you say, inherently bad. The problem occurs
> when you have (effectively) no choice about linkability.
>

> But it's very hard to use either of those mechanisms (separation through
> emails or keys) without giving some third party the ability to achieve total
> linkability. (In other words, both options remove effective choice).

I agree that emails are a problem, but not at all sure why keys are?
In the case of appropriate selective disclosure mechanisms, even if
there were a third party involved, they would not be able to link uses
of the keys. Also, if you insist on using linkable keys, then per-site
keys do not involve third parties.

On email, this is a soluble problem, but not without using a
completely different delivery mechanism.