Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 19 Oct 2012, at 15:52, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 19 October 2012 14:46, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> I am not saying you should not want that, I am saying that ACLs on the
>>> resources do not achieve unlinkability.
>>
>> Can you expand on what the dangers are?

>>> That's true, but is not specified in WebID, right? Also, because of
>>> the renegotiation attack, this is currently insecure in many cases.
>>
>> WebID on TLS does rely on TLS. Security is not a goal one can reach,
>> it is a way of travelling. So I do expect every security protocol to
>> have issues. These ones are being fixed, and if more people build on
>> them, the priority of the need to fix them will grow faster.

>>> Tor has no impact on the visibility of the communication at the server end.
>>
>> You really need to expand on what the danger is. Because again
>> I think you are thinking of the site I am connecting to as the attacker.
>> But I may be wrong.
>
> I'm getting quite tired of this: the point is, you cannot achieve
> unlinkability with WebID except by using a different WebIDs. You made
> the claim that ACLs on resources achieve unlinkability. This is
> incorrect.

The definition of unlinkability higher up is relative to the notion of
an attacker. That is why you cannot just make a statement that WebID
cannot achieve unlinkability without specifying who the attackers are.
Such a sentence is incomplete.

> So yes, the scenario is there are two sites that I connect to using
> WebID and I want each of them to not be able to link my connections to
> the other. To do this, I need two WebIDs, one for each site. ACLs do
> not assist.

Thanks for filling in the picture.

So the difference between us is that your are considering situations
where you wish to identify to a web site which you think of as an
attacker. There WebID is not the right technology, and indeed very
few technologies may be right - indeed it may be impossible for that
to be used by a large public, since most such attacking sites would
ask a user for his e-mail address, or a few pieces of information that
together are linkable, and link him/her.

In the situations we are considering with WebID the sites we are
connecting to are not thought of as the enemy. Now I agree we should
add a  privacy/security section to the spec ( ISSUE-68 [1] ) that
makes this limitation clear.
  In some situations this is problematic. But for creating a distributed
SocialWeb which is what I am interested in doing, I think this is essential.
We want to be able to allow friends of friends to work together, create
ad hoc working groups of people with distributed identities, etc... These
are the types of things people do one social networks, we just want to do
those on a global scale with no center of control.

Does that make sense? Would adding that to a privacy section be satisfactory
to you?

Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/track/issues/68

Social Web Architect