From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:49:03
To: <Ian.Oliver@nokia.com>
Cc: <henry.story@bblfish.net>; <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>; <benl@google.com>; <public-privacy@w3.org>; <public-webid@w3.org>
Subject: Re: privacy definitions -- was: WebID questions

Worse, I think it's misleading to focus on a technology -- cookies -- and not the principle.

The principle is whether a site is storing data about me.  It doesn't make much material difference to me whether the site stores the data in cookies on my machine, or in a database indexed by an identifier stored in a cookie on my machine, or in a database that is indexed in some other way (e.g. by a fingerprint).

Generally, I am saying that statements of principle should avoid discussing specific technologies, or we run the serious risk that people will simply keep their practices and just change the technology.  So, for example, laws about cookies can be circumvented by the use of fingerprints as indexes.

Don't tell me that you are using cookies - they can be quite innocuous. Tell me you're tracking me.  And so on.

On Oct 17, 2012, at 14:30 , Ian.Oliver@nokia.com wrote:

> Furthermore you have to differentiate between cookies for different purposes, for example, advertising tracking, login information, certain kinds of state etc.
>
> You have a catch-22 situation here, in order to give the user or consumer enough information about - in this case - cookie usage, the UI would become very complicated and the burden of understanding in the consequences and implications of certain cookies being turned on and off would be toó high; on the other hand, if you have a simple on/off then the repercussions on some basic functionality of sites would lead to a potentially (massively) degraded and frustrating user experience.
>
> Does anyone have a reference to the typical amount of type of cookies stored by a "typical" user?
>
> t.
>
> Ian

David Singer