Re: Privacy by Design in APIs

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:40:46 +0200
To: Sören Preibusch <Soeren.Preibusch@cl.cam.ac.uk>
On Mar 29, 2012, at 20:17 , Sören Preibusch wrote:
> We also had a W3C Workshop on Privacy for Advanced Web APIs
> <http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/>, where I argued that better APIs
> allow more fine-grained information retrieval by specifying response groups
> <http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/papers/privacy-ws-1.pdf>.

Yes, I was there. I think that the idea of fine-grained information retrieval is indeed important and should be integrated in some form (providing information in the flow of user interaction is certainly part of that). The difficulty has to do with trading off the granularity with how often the user has to interact.